Tuesday is here, which means time for another amateur music review from yours truly.
Today’s New Music Tuesday selection: Karmin
Karmin is a simple guy/girl duo, who performs both some original works and covers of many popular songs. I know what you’re thinking, “Oh great, a cover band. Lame.” But I’m gonna stop you right there. This is not any ordinary cover band. This is better than any cover band you’ve heard.
To prove my point, take a look at this video of Karmin’s cover of “Look at Me Now” by Chris Brown:
Now that you’ve seen it, you realize this is no ordinary cover band. And here’s my 5 reasons why they’re awesome:
- There are only two of them. They do the vocals, the backup, and all the instrumentals all on their own. That’s a pretty big feat, because they have to figure out how to harmonize with fewer voices, or how to take the music down to just a piano or guitar. Occasionally, they will bring in additional instrumentalists, but for the most part, it’s just the two of them.
- They cover ANYTHING. Seriously, anything. They’ve got stuff from Chris Brown, Maroon 5, Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, and Nicky Minaj, just to name a few. They are able to take just about any song and make it their own, without losing the integrity of the original. And that’s tough work.
- They became famous on YouTube. They started doing this on their own, and posting videos of their covers on YouTube. No fancy effects, no homemade music videos, just the two of them sitting at a keyboard, singing their song. It takes a lot of guts to put yourself out there, and even more motivation to keep doing it without recognition.
- They love their fans. They’re avid Twitterers, and often hold Q&A sessions with their followers. They also post major thanks for any opportunity they get, which shows they’re very humble in this world of narcissism.
- They’ve got skills. Take a look at the above video once again, then try and speak that fast. It’s crazy. They also play a wide variety of instruments, and put together all the harmonies and arrangements on their own. That takes both major work and major practice. Kudos to them.
So there you have it. The cover band that’s rethinking the way we do covers. Take a few hours to browse their many YouTube videos, and enjoy!